End Of The Year Checklist To Prevent Property Damages
The holiday season typically means a flurry of activity. You may be busy shopping for people on your gift list, gearing up for time off work, and making plans for social functions and gatherings with family and friends. All of this can distract you from practical concerns that could impact you in the year ahead.
Before 2021 ends, make it a point to review insurance policies you have in place. In terms of homeowners insurance, you can protect yourself and your financial security in the future by making sure you are adequately covered and that any potential issues that could result in property damages are addressed. Our Daytona Beach property damage claims attorneys recommend following this end-of-year checklist.
Review Property Damage Insurance Coverage
Time moves quickly, particularly around the holidays, but there are some tasks you need to complete now to ensure you are properly protected in the year ahead. The Insurance Information Institute (III) recommends the following:
- Review your current homeowner’s insurance policy: Pay close attention to coverage periods and policy exclusions, which could impact your rights in filing a claim.
- Make an inventory of your property: This should be done prior to purchasing a policy. If you did not do it then, make it a point of taking an inventory now. Include all items that should be covered by your policy, both inside and outside your home.
- Review property values: Beside each item on your list, you should include the price you paid, its current value, and potential repair/replacement costs. Total all of these together to ensure you have the proper amount of coverage.
- Keep accurate records: Create a file that contains your homeowner’s insurance policy documents, your home inventory, and any receipts for items you purchase or any repairs that are made. Make it a point of updating it throughout the year as you add new items.
Tasks To Complete Around Your Home As 2021 Draws To A Close
After reviewing your homeowners insurance policy, go through your home and look for unnoticed damages or issues that could impact you in the year ahead. The New York Times recommends items that should be on your checklist include:
- Inspect your roof for sagging, missing shingles, or other vulnerabilities;
- Make sure gutters are cleared of debris;
- Check siding and fascia around doors and windows;
- Clear chimneys, particularly before using over winter;
- Consider getting your heating/air conditioning unit inspected;
- Check decking and other outside structures on your property;
- Make sure security features are working or consider adding them;
- Address any landscaping issues, such as yard debris and low hanging branches.
Contact Us Today for Help
At Bundza & Rodriguez, we wish you and your family a happy holiday. When problems arise, either now or in the year to come, we are here to help. To request a consultation, reach out and call or contact our Daytona Beach property damage claims attorneys online.