Skip to main content

Exit WCAG Theme

Switch to Non-ADA Website

Accessibility Options

Select Text Sizes

Select Text Color

Website Accessibility Information Close Options
Close Menu
Bundza & Rodriguez, P.A. Proven Trial Attorneys
  • Contact Us For a Free Consultation

Can You Receive Compensation for a Single-Vehicle Accident?


Not every car accident involves two vehicles colliding. Some accidents involve only a single vehicle, but drivers and occupants can be badly injured, nonetheless. Imagine if your car slammed into a telephone pole or tree, or if you flipped over in a ditch. The damage would be severe.

One question we receive is whether a person can receive compensation after a single-vehicle accident. The answer is “yes,” but this is a complicated area of law.

You Can Receive PIP Benefits in a Single-Vehicle Crash

All car registrants in Florida must have at least $10,000 in personal injury protection (PIP) benefits. This insurance is “no fault,” so it doesn’t matter if your own carelessness or recklessness caused you to slam into something. You can still file a claim. After the accident, contact your PIP insurer to report the accident. Also remember to receive medical treatment within 14 days of the accident, otherwise you can be denied benefits.

With a single-vehicle accident, you can expect an insurer to analyze the circumstances carefully. They are looking to root out fraud, so they want to know that you were really involved in a crash and are not making up a claim to receive compensation.

You Can Sue Another Driver in Some Circumstances

Some single-vehicle accidents are actually the fault of another driver. For example, a big rig might have begun to merge into your lane, forcing you off the road. Or a drunk driver drifted into your lane, forcing you to jump the curb and slam into a tree to avoid getting hit.

The fact that you did not collide with another vehicle does not mean another driver isn’t to blame. You should discuss the circumstances with an attorney, but you can sometimes bring a lawsuit.

Whether you can sue depends on who is responsible. If a big rig, taxi, or motorcycle forced you off the road, then you can sue for compensation. You can receive money for lost wages, medical care, and property damage, in addition to pain and suffering and/or emotional distress.

However, if another driver caused the accident, you probably can only sue if you suffered a permanent injury. A permanent injury would consist of permanent scarring or permanent loss of a bodily system or organ. Meet with an attorney to determine whether you qualify to bring a lawsuit.

You Can Sue if a Car Defect Caused the Crash

Some cars are defectively designed or manufactured. For example, the brakes on a car might fail, or a steering column defect could render the car unmanageable, leading to a crash. In these cases, you can absolutely bring a claim against the manufacturer of the defective part or the manufacturer of the vehicle. There might be other defendants you can sue for compensation.

Were You Injured in a Single-Vehicle Accident?

As seasoned Daytona Beach car accident lawyers, we have handled all kinds of accident claims, including single-vehicle ones. If you were injured, don’t assume you can’t receive compensation. You do have options.

To find out more, call Bundza & Rodriguez at 386-252-5170. We offer a free consultation, which you can schedule today.


Facebook Twitter LinkedIn
Skip footer and go back to main navigation