Daytona Beach Bus-Related Accident Raises Awareness Of Potential Risks
For many people, taking the bus provides a convenient and cost-effective form of transportation. Buses run steadily throughout Volusia County, taking passengers to a variety of areas. However, when relying on bus service, it is important to be aware of the potential risks. A recent fatal car accident in Daytona Beach that happened while a local woman raced to catch the bus highlights the potential dangers and the variety of ways in which personal injuries while taking the bus can occur.
Bus Accidents and The Risks Associated With Public Transportation
A February 22, 2021 News 13 report details the tragic case of a local woman killed in late January while crossing traffic on U.S. 92 in order to catch the bus. A resident of a local homeless shelter, her death raised awareness about some of the safety issues local residents face when relying on public transportation. It also prompted an outpouring of donations that will be used in developing programs designed to help other shelter residents reach their jobs and other destinations safely.
Bus accidents often bring to mind major crashes involving motorists, bus rollover accidents, and collisions with fixed objects. While these types of incidents do occur on a regular basis, there are other types of bus-related accidents that can cause serious harm as well. These include:
- Bus stop accidents, such as the one above, that happen while catching the bus or waiting for it to arrive;
- Bus accidents that happen during the boarding process, such as slips and falls;
- Bus accidents during the trip, such as getting struck by objects or thrown from your seat due to sudden stops;
- Bus accidents involving nearby bicyclists and pedestrians.
When personal injuries happen as a result of the above, you may be able to seek compensation through the bus company involved.
Seeking Compensation For Bus-Related Accident Injuries
According to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA), more than 60,000 bus accidents happen each year. In many of these cases, bus drivers take the brunt of the blame. Speeding, running red lights, driving while distracted or under the influence, and other reckless behaviors can all put passengers at risk.
However, policies and procedures on the part of the bus company are often contributing factors. This is particularly true in bus-related accidents involving people waiting for buses and nearby pedestrians. Bus companies can be held liable when injuries occur due to the following:
- Putting bus stops in dangerous locations;
- Not providing adequate bus shelters for passengers;
- Not properly maintaining bus fleets, which increases the risk of bus accidents;
- Not properly supervising bus drivers, overscheduling them, and not penalizing them for prior traffic infractions.
Let Us Help You Today
When personal injuries happen due to bus accidents or any type of bus-related incident, Bundza & Rodriguez, P.A. is here to help you get the compensation you need to recover in a claim. To discuss your options, call or contact our Daytona Beach car accident attorneys online and request a consultation today.