Plumbing Maintenance Tips
Maintaining the plumbing system in your home is important to ensure its longevity and so you can avoid costly repairs. Proper plumbing maintenance can also help protect your home’s resale value and to ensure the property does not become damaged. Maintaining your plumbing can also make sure the insurance company does not reject a future claim due to improper maintenance. Below, our Daytona Beach water damage lawyer outlines the best plumbing maintenance tips.
Check Regularly for Leaks
Regularly checking around basins and sinks can provide early clues that there is a problem with the pipes. Look for signs that a faucet is dripping, or discolored or dark stains on the walls or ceilings. These can indicate that a water leak is hiding within a wall. Also check the flapper in your toilet regularly so it does not run continually.
Check Your Pipes
If your home was constructed prior to 1975, there is a good chance that there is cast iron piping in your plumbing system. Over time, cast iron pipes can corrode, which compromises their structural integrity. Approximately 76 million homes in the country have cast iron pipes that are in need of replacement. Some signs that your pipes may need to be replaced are as follows:
- Discoloration or rust in water
- Slow drainage
- Plumbing blockages and backups
- Foul odors
- Wet walls, floors, and puddles
Clean Fixtures Regularly
There are many common issues that can affect the plumbing fixtures in your home. These can include:
- Discolored stains: If you have porcelain fixtures, they may develop fine cracks over time. Clean these with a stiff brush and thoroughly brush the area. When finished, rinse the residue away and repeat the process if necessary.
- Rust stains: Rust remover can easily treat iron-induced staining on surfaces in your bathroom including in your toilet bowl.
- Stains: When fixtures are not properly cleaned and maintained, bacteria can build up and leave stains. Liquid household bleach or powdered oxygen bleach can help you clean these surfaces while also maintaining good hygiene.
Install Fixtures that Conserve Water
Water-saving fixtures and appliances can reduce the amount of water you use, and the amount you pay to use it. Washing machines, dishwashers, shower heads, toilets, and faucets are all being manufactured today with water-saving features. Installing these in your home can ensure your fixtures remain in working condition for the entirety of their expected lifespan. When fixtures work properly, they are less likely to cause an issue that results in water damage.
Call a Water Damage Lawyer in Daytona Beach
The above tips are very helpful when maintaining your plumbing system, but they are not a guarantee that you will never experience an issue. If your home has been damaged, you may be able to file a claim and obtain coverage for it. At Bundza & Rodriguez, our Daytona Beach water damage lawyer can help you through the process to ensure you receive the full and fair coverage you are entitled to. Call or text us today at 386-252-5170 or contact us online to schedule a free consultation.