Switch to ADA Accessible Theme
Close Menu
Daytona Beach Injury Lawyer
Contact Us For a Free Consultation
Google Translate Schedule Your Case
Evaluation Now!
Daytona Beach Lawyers > Blog > Water Damage > How To Choose The Right Insurance Policy For Flood Damage

How To Choose The Right Insurance Policy For Flood Damage


As a homeowner, choosing the right homeowners insurance policy is one of the most important decisions you will have to make. Every property has unique needs which require certain types of coverage. If you are not well-versed in the complex language within an insurance policy, determining what type of coverage you need can be overwhelming. When it comes to flood damage, it can be even more difficult. Below, our Daytona Beach flood damage lawyer explains how to choose the policy that is right for you.

Is Flood Damage Covered in Most Insurance Policies? 

Standard homeowners insurance policies cover many different types of perils. A peril is defined as any event that can damage your property or personal belongings. Lightning, fire, smoke, hail, explosions, and windstorms are a few of the most common types of perils covered by insurance. Even with the amount of flooding Florida experiences every year, this type of damage is not normally covered in standard policies. In fact, it almost never is.

It is important to note that while flood damage is not usually covered by standard insurance policies, your mortgage provider may still require it. For example, if your home is in a high risk flood zone and your mortgage is government-backed, you likely must purchase insurance for flood damage.

How to Know if You Need Coverage for Flood Damage 

When determining whether you need to purchase additional coverage for flood damage, you first need to find out if your home is located in a flood zone. Even if you live in a zone with a low risk of flooding, you may still want to consider purchasing additional coverage for flood damage. According to the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), approximately 30 percent of all insurance claims stem from low to moderate risk flood zones. Zones A or V are considered high risk, while Zones B, C, or X are deemed low to moderate risk.

If you live in Zone A or X, your mortgage provider will most likely require you to have insurance for flood damage. If you live in another zone, this will likely not be a requirement but it is still recommended for all Florida homeowners. In the Sunshine State, there really is no such thing as a no risk flood zone. The purpose of homeowners insurance is not to mitigate the chance that your home will become damaged, but to increase the monetary protection you have in the event of a catastrophic event.

Our Flood Damage Lawyer in Daytona Beach Can Work with the Insurer on Your Behalf 

If your home is damaged by flooding and you do not have additional coverage, you may be on your own in the event of a storm. However, if you do have additional coverage and your insurance company is still denying your claim, it is critical that you speak to our Daytona Beach flood damage lawyer at Bundza & Rodriguez. We will speak to the insurer on your behalf and hold them fully accountable for paying the full and fair coverage you are entitled to. Call or text us now at 386-252-5170 or reach out to us online to schedule a free consultation.



Facebook Twitter LinkedIn