Switch to ADA Accessible Theme
Close Menu
Daytona Beach Injury Lawyer
Contact Us For a Free Consultation
Google Translate Schedule Your Case
Evaluation Now!
Daytona Beach Lawyers > Blog > Fire & Smoke > Five Common Household Fire Hazards

Five Common Household Fire Hazards


House fires are devastating. It can take only minutes for an entire home to be devastated by a fire and even when parts of a home are saved, they may still sustain significant smoke damage. Unfortunately, there are many common household fire hazards that can destroy everything you have worked for. Below, our Daytona Beach fire and smoke damage lawyer outlines what some of these are, and how you can avoid them.


Candles are one of the most obvious causes of house fires. People may place a candle too closely to a flammable object, or they may not properly extinguish candles before leaving them unattended. Always make sure candles are placed in an area free of drafts and that does not contain flammable items. After you have snuffed out the flame, replace the lid, which will extinguish any remaining spark or flame.

Dryer Lint

Dryer lint can quickly build up around the heating devices and motors installed in dryers. When this lint is not properly removed, it can easily catch fire that will then spread to other areas of the home. According to the U.S. Fire Administration, there are nearly 3,000 dryer fires every year that result in $35 million in property damage. Always make sure lint traps are entirely cleaned out after every load to prevent a lint fire.

Hair Appliances

Most households have some type of hair appliances such as curlers, straighteners, or hairdryers. It is very easy to forget to shut these appliances off or unplug them and that can easily lead to a house fire. Straighteners in particular, may be small but they typically heat up to approximately 400 degrees. Always turn these appliances off and allow them to cool down on a heat-proof mat.

Laptops and Electronic Devices

Laptops and other electronic devices have started many house fires. These devices can quickly overheat and if they are resting on pillows, blankets, or other bedding, the linen can catch fire. Many laptops today are built with an automatic shut-off feature, but it is still more important to be safe rather than sorry. Always move laptops and other devices to a desk or other surface where they can cool down safely.

Grills and Barbecues

Grilled food is delicious, but making it can be dangerous. Grilled food can cause unpredictable flames and sparks to fly around a home, awnings, and patio furniture. If a grill or barbecue is placed too close to a home, the flames may go higher than the food and could even cause siding and other parts of a home to catch fire. Always move your grill or barbecue away from the home and keep it clean at all times to prevent flare ups, which can contribute to a fire.

Our Fire and Smoke Damage Lawyers in Daytona Beach Can Help with Your Case

At Bundza & Rodriguez, our Daytona Beach fire and smoke damage lawyers can help after the devastation of a house fire. Our skilled attorneys can negotiate with the insurance company on your behalf to help ensure you receive the full coverage you deserve. Call us now at 386-252-5170 or contact us online to schedule a free consultation and to learn more about how we can help.



Facebook Twitter LinkedIn