Reckless Driving Behaviors That Increase Daytona Beach Car Accident Risks
Car accidents in Daytona Beach can end up impacting drivers and their passengers, as well as motorcyclists, bicyclists, and pedestrians. In the majority of cases, reckless driving behaviors on the part of one of the parties involved are to blame. Committing even a seemingly minor misstep or traffic infraction can have serious and potentially life-threatening consequences. Be aware of the common types of reckless driving that are frequent factors in crashes and collisions.
Reckless Driving A Common Cause of Motor Vehicle Accidents
A recent motorcycle accident in Daytona Beach highlights how even relatively minor traffic infractions can increase your car accident risks. According to a September 4, 2020 report by the Daytona Beach News-Journal, a motorcyclist was killed recently in a crash that happened on Clyde Morris Boulevard. Apparently, the motorcyclist was traveling at a high rate of speed and used the center emergency lane in an effort to pass other motorists. As he was making the maneuver, he lost control of his motorcycle and crashed headfirst into a vehicle in the opposing lane. The driver suffered minor injuries while the motorcyclist was thrown from his bike and pronounced dead at the scene.
Speeding and driving in emergency lanes are two common types of reckless driving behaviors that increase car accident risks. According to the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (FLHSMV), other frequent factors in collisions include:
- Tailgating, or following other drivers too closely;
- Passing in no passing areas;
- Failure to yield;
- Disregarding stop signs and traffic signals;
- Aggressive driving behaviors, such as swerving in and out of lanes;
- Going too fast for road, traffic, or weather conditions;
- Weaving in and out of lanes.
Reckless Driving Risks
Under the Florida Motor Vehicle Statutes, you could face heavy fines and points on your license for engaging in any of the above reckless driving behaviors. You could also face legal liability if your actions result in a car accident and cause injuries to others involved.
In addition to seeking compensation through a claim filed against the at-fault driver’s insurer, those injured in car crashes in which a reckless driver is to blame have the right to file a personal injury lawsuit. Damages at-fault drivers could be liable for in this type of claim include:
- Coverage of current medical bills;
- Compensation for future medical costs the victim will likely incur;
- Reimbursement for lost wages;
- Compensation for future losses in income due to long term disabilities;
- Compensation for pain, suffering, and mental anguish caused by the crash;
- Coverage of household expenses and other costs during the recovery period;
- Punitive damages, which is an additional amount that may be ordered if the at-fault driver acted in a particularly reckless and negligent manner.
Contact Us Today for Help
If you are involved in any type of car accident involving a reckless driver, you can count on Bundza & Rodriguez, P.A. to help you get the compensation you are entitled to in a claim. To request a consultation, call or contact our Daytona Beach car accident attorneys online today.