To Prevent Motorcycle Accidents, Brush Up on Safety Tips Before Biketoberfest
There are plenty of motorcycle enthusiasts who live in Daytona Beach and tens of thousands more who visit here regularly for motorcycle rallies and events each year. Fall is a particularly popular time for riding with the cooler temperatures and the annual Biketoberfest rally typically draws a large crowd. Unfortunately, the combination of increased numbers of both motorists and bikers on the road means increased motorcycle accident risks. To protect yourself, take the time now to brush up on some motorcycle safety tips.
Daytona Beach Bikertoberfest Coming Up
Biketoberfest 2020 will be held in Daytona Beach on the weekend of October 15th through 18th. It typically comprises a whole series of events sponsored by businesses throughout Volusia County. While the situation surrounding COVID-19 has put a damper on some of these plans, there are still plenty of festivities for motorcyclists and enthusiasts to attend. In addition, all local beaches and public parks throughout the area will be open to visitors.
Though turnout is likely to be somewhat lower this year, city officials are still expecting a crowd. For bikers and motorists living in the area, it is important to take some general safety precautions. This includes avoiding reckless driving behaviors that increase motorcycle accident risks, such as:
- Speeding and going too fast for conditions;
- Disregarding traffic signs or signals;
- Lane splitting and improper passing;
- Tailgating, failing to yield, and other aggressive driving behaviors;
- Distracted driving, such as making calls, texting, or taking pictures while behind the wheel;
- Driving under the influence of alcohol, drugs, or medications.
Ways to Protect Yourself Against Motorcycle Accidents
According to the National Safety Council (NSC), motorcyclists make up only three percent of all registered vehicles on the road but comprise close to 15 percent of all traffic fatalities. Each year, more than 5,000 bikers are killed in motorcycle accidents while tens of thousands of others suffer potentially serious personal injuries. Steps you can take to protect yourself against crashes or collisions include:
- Wear the appropriate clothing when riding, such as long-sleeve shirts, long pants, and boots or other closed toe shoes.
- Wear the appropriate safety gear, such as a helmet, gloves, and sunglasses or goggles.
- Make sure your motorcycle is well-maintained and check it thoroughly before riding.
- Be familiar with local traffic laws and any potential hazards, such as adverse weather or heavier than usual traffic conditions.
- Never assume other motorists see you or take steps to increase your visibility.
- Use extra caution at intersections, parking lot entrances, and highway exit ramps, where motorcycle accidents often occur.
- If you plan on having even one or two drinks, make other arrangements to get home.
Contact Us Today for Help
Despite your precautions, motorcycle accidents can still happen. When these leave you or your passengers suffering serious personal injuries, Bundza & Rodriguez, P.A. are here to help you get the compensation you need to recover. Call or contact our Daytona Beach motorcycle accident attorneys online and request a consultation today.