Facing Criminal Charges After Visiting Daytona Beach?
There is a saying many local residents and visitors to Daytona Beach are familiar with: ‘Come on vacation, go home on probation. The rhyme pokes fun at the way in which lowered inhibitions can get tourists into trouble, but criminal violations can continue to haunt you after your trip. Criminal charges in Daytona Beach are a serious matter. To protect yourself against penalties, get our experienced Daytona Beach criminal defense attorney on your side right away.
Tourists and Crimes In Daytona Beach
Daytona Beach tourism officials promote our pleasant climate, sandy shores, iconic speedway, and other activities. However, most visitors are unaware of Daytona Beach’s high crime rate. According to Neighborhood Scout, close to 3,000 property crimes and 800 violent crimes happen in our immediate area each year. In terms of crime index, this ranks us fourth compared to other cities across the country, with 100 being the safest. Even when compared to other places across the state, Daytona Beach stands out. Your odds of being involved in a violent crime in Florida are one in 246. In Daytona, it is 1 in 87.
While residents bear a certain amount of responsibility for the high crime rate, visitors to Daytona Beach help to drive up these numbers. Common types of crimes they are most likely to be charged with include:
- Alcohol-related crimes and DUI;
- Assault and battery;
- Disorderly conduct and disturbing the peace;
- Domestic violence;
- Drug crimes, including possession and distribution;
- Property crimes, including vandalism and destruction of property;
- Sexual assault and harassment;
- Theft-related crimes.
What Should I Do If I Am Charged With A Crime While Visiting Daytona Beach?
Facing any type of charges in the Volusia County Criminal Court is a serious matter. Even a traffic ticket or minor criminal violation could result in heavy fines, as well as court costs and other fees. You could also be required to appear here in person, months after your vacation. In more serious criminal matters, penalties may include a potential jail sentence.
While it is common to want to ignore the situation once you go home, doing so only makes matters worse. Steps you need to take to protect yourself include:
- Contact our Daytona Beach criminal defense attorneys immediately.
- Assert your right to remain silent, avoiding statements to police that could be used against you or accepting any pleas.
- Preserve any evidence that could be used in your favor, such as pictures, texts, and receipts showing your activities.
- Notify us as soon as possible of any legal notices, court summons, or other correspondence you receive.
Contact Us Today for Help
As a tourist facing criminal charges in Daytona Beach, you can count on Bundza & Rodriguez, P.A. to act as a strong legal ally on your side. As local attorneys, we take the actions needed to defend and protect you. Call or contact our Daytona Beach criminal defense attorneys online to request a consultation today.