How Can I Get Flood Insurance In Daytona Beach?
Flooding has long been a problem for many residents in the Daytona Beach area. Common in the summer months when heavy rains are a regular occurrence, experts expect it to dramatically worsen for coastal cities in the coming years due to rising sea levels. It is important to be aware that flooding is not covered under your standard homeowner’s property damage insurance policy. Find out how you can get flood damage coverage and how it can help to protect you.
Why It Is Important To Get Flood Insurance In Daytona Beach
Many residents of Daytona Beach and surrounding areas are forced to deal with flooding whenever heavy rains, tropical storms, or hurricanes pass through our area. However, a July 2021 report from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) warns that high tide flooding is an increasingly common problem in coastal cities, particularly those in the southeast. The situation is expected to get worse over the next 30 years, posing a major threat to homes in these areas.
Even minor amounts of flooding can end up causing major property damages in Daytona Beach. Among the impacts homeowners often experience as a result include:
- Damage to landscaping and loss of outdoor furnishing;
- Destruction of items kept in sheds, crawl spaces, and other low lying storage areas;
- Ruined carpets and warped floorboards;
- Structural problems, such as shifting or cracks in your home’s foundation;
- Mold and mildew issues, which can cause major damage and potentially serious health problems;
- Damage to electrical wiring and plumbing;
- Damage to major home appliances, including your heat and cooling system.
Unfortunately, standard homeowner’s property damage insurance does not cover losses due to flooding. To ensure you are protected, you should seek additional coverage through the National Flood Insurance Program.
What Does Flood Insurance Cover?
The National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) is managed by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA). It is available as a separate policy you can purchase for your home or business. Seeing as how even one inch of water can end up resulting in up to $25,000 in property damages, it is a smart investment, particularly for residents of Daytona Beach. There are options in terms of the types of policies available, with coverage that includes:
- For damage to the structure of your home or business: Replacement cost coverage is capped at $250,000.
- For loss of personal possessions: Actual cash value coverage capped at $100,000.
The NFIP recommends all Florida residents purchase flood insurance but it is important to be aware of limitations. Flood insurance available through the NFIP does not cover water-related damage, such as from leaking pipes or damages due to wind-driven rain.
Let Us Help You Today
At Bundza & Rodriguez, we can help answer your questions about property damage insurance and protect your rights when filing or disputing a claim. To request a consultation with our Daytona Beach flood damage attorney, call or contact our office online today.